Take a bite out of these crispy and tender, air fried chicken wings coated in a delicious sweet and spicy soy glaze.
Sweet and Spicy Soy Glazed Chicken Wings
These delicious sweet and spicy soy glazed chicken wings are made in just under an hour with the help of your air fryer, a sauce pan, and ten simple ingredients. You don’t even have to wait to defrost the wings. I mean come on! that’s a win.
Benefits of using an air fryer
No Additional Oil. You don’t need any additional oil to make this recipe. The fat from the skin of the chicken wings is more than enough to get them nice and crispy.
No Hovering over Heat. With this recipe, you mostly let the air fryer do its job, only coming in every ten minutes or so to toss the wings around so that they crisp evenly.
No Defrosting. Unlike real frying, you don’t need to wait for your wings to defrost, saving you time and flexibility to make this recipe on the fly.
How long does it take to cook wings in an air fryer?
For this recipe, we are cooking our wings at a low temperature of 375ºF for 45 minutes. It’s important to toss the wings frequently to get a nice and even crispy skin on all the wings.
I use the Ninja Foodi Tendercrisp, which has a fairly large basket. If your air fryer can’t handle as much, you may need to cook two batches and cooking time may be shorter because there are less wings to cook at a time.
Do chicken wings have to be thawed before frying?
Nope, I actually prefer just sticking frozen wings into the air fryer because it’s so much easier than remembering to thaw wings out the night before.
If you do thaw out your wings though, expect the cooking time to be shortened by about 10 minutes.
Can you stack chicken wings in an air fryer?
Absolutely. The key to successfully stacking chicken wings in the air fryer is to toss them frequently so that they cook evenly.
Let’s waste less food.
Use Extra Sauce For Dipping. The only thing you can really waste in this recipe is the sauce.
Crispy Air Fried Chicken Wings with Spicy Soy Glaze
- 2.5-3 lbs frozen chicken wings (no tips)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame or neutral oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 8 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions, sliced
- Place chicken wings in air fryer basket and set to fry at 375ºF for 45 minutes.
- After the first ten minutes, season with kosher salt and toss wings. Continue to toss wings every 10-15 minutes or so until evenly crisp and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a sauce pan and bring to medium heat. Add minced garlic and Ginger, and sauté until fragrant, but not browned (2-3 minutes).
- Add soy sauce, brown sugar, distilled white vinegar, and pepper flakes. Bring mixture up to a boil and then bring it down to a simmer until reduced and thickens. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. You’ll know the sauce is ready when you run your spatula across the bottom of the pan and it leaves a clean streak for a moment.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the sauce until evenly coated. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and chopped green onions.