This fruity strawberry ice cream is easy to make, and no machine necessary!
Just two zip-top bags, some ice, and raw human power! It’s a fun activity, and a quick recipe when you’re in a pinch for some ice cream, or you’re just craving it and too lazy to put on some pants. Make this recipe for deliciously fresh quick and easy home made ice cream.
It’s so good, Babe couldn’t even tell it was home made, so that… was surprising honestly ‘cause he’s obsessed with ice cream, and I’ve made homemade ice cream with with my kitchen aid ice cream attachment, and they just weren’t that great. I maybe should have followed those recipes more thoroughly…
This strawberry ice cream starts with a simple mashing of fresh strawberries and sugar, mixed together with heavy cream and vanilla extract, and finished off with a good shaking in an ice cold bath.
Cooking Tips and Substitutions
Use a kitchen towel or mittens to hold the bag of ice while you shake because it will freeze your little fingers! If you’re feeling creative, you can experiment with different flavors.
Some ideas that I haven’t tested.
- Chocolate – mix in chocolate syrup or melted milk chocolate
- Dulce de Leche – mix in 1-2 Tbspn of dulce de leche, but don’t add in the extra sugar. consider adding a pinch of salt.
- Coffee – stir in 1 -2 shots of espresso
Adding salt to ice lowers the freezing point of water, making the ice quickly release all that chill. That with the vigorous shaking of the heavy cream to create pockets of air forms the ice cream.
- Chopped almonds
- Sliced Strawberries
- Chocolate drizzle (for an instant hard shell melt 1/4 cup chocolate chips with 1/2 tspn of coconut oil)
- Shredded Coconut
- Pineapple chunks
Strawberry Ice Cream No Machine No Problem
- 2 large strawberries ($0.50)
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar ($0.04)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream ($0.92)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ($0.02)
- 3-4 cups ice cubes ($0.00)
- 1/3 cup kosher or any coarse salt ($0.19)
- Mash the strawberries and sugar into a purée.
- In a quart sized zip-top bag, combine strawberry purée, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Seal bag.
- In a gallon sized zip-top bag add ice and salt.
- Place the small bag into the large bag and seal.* Shake the bag for about 10 minutes, until the liquid in the smaller bag has become firm.
- You can enjoy it right out of the bag for a soft serve, or put it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes for a firmer texture.